POSITION SUMMARY: Under direction of a Psychiatrist and coordination with the clinical team, interview consumers, measure vital signs, draw blood for testing, and perform other basic clinical functions to help meet the medical needs of each consumer.. Record consumer information into medical chart, monitor and administer medications or give injections.
NEW HIRE HOURLY RATE: $18.34/hr - $22.01/hr
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Collect blood specimens and prepare them for lab work/testing.
- Interview consumers to obtain medical information.
- Measure vital signs: such as: pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight and height.
- Record consumers' medical history, vital statistics and information such as test results into medical records.
- Communicate relevant medical information to medical and clinical staff as part of the treatment team.
- Coordinate medical care and intervention with staff and Psychiatrist.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Completion of educational program necessary to obtain a Medical Assistant Certification. Must be certified as a Medical Assistant.
Must be certified as a Medical Assistant.
At least on year working a medical/clinic environment. Experience working in a community mental health center or within a mental health field is strongly preferred.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Working knowledge of psychotropic medications including drug properties and interactions.
- Working knowledge of laboratory test results.
- Understanding of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases and health conditions.
- Basic knowledge of methods of psychotherapy, principles, methods and procedures for diagnosis and treatment of physical and mental illnesses, behavioral and affective disorders (some familiarity with the DSM IV and diagnostic techniques).
- Ability to assess crisis situations and intervene appropriately.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work flexible and on-call hours which may be required.
- Knowledge and understanding of trauma-informed care principles/practices.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT TO BE USED: Computers, calculators, fax machines, copiers, telephone and a variety of other office/clerical equipment.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires sitting, standing, bending and reaching. May require lifting up to 50 pounds. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office machines such as computers, fax machines, the telephone and other office and/or clinical equipment.
WORKING CONDITIONS: May require occasional evening or weekend hours.